BC Municipalities Can Now Apply for up to 73% Funding for Green INFRASTRUCTURE Projects
The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP) is a cost-shared infrastructure funding program between the federal government, provinces and territories, municipalities, and other recipients. The Environmental Quality Program (ICIP-EQ), a sub-stream of ICIP, has been created to assist communities in developing well planned community infrastructure that will protect public health and environment, promote climate change resilience, and support broad public benefits and service sustainability. The third intake of the ICIP-EQ is now open for applications.
Canadian and British Columbia governments have committed up to $270 million towards this third intake of ICIP-EQ to support cost-sharing of infrastructure projects in communities across the Province. This intake is designed to target projects starting in 2023 and completing by 2026.
- Municipalities within British Columbia
- Indigenous governing bodies, including:
- A band council within the meaning of Section 2 of the Indian Act.
- A First Nation, Inuit or Métis government or authority established pursuant to a self-government agreement or a comprehensive land claim agreement between Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada and an Indigenous people of Canada, that has been approved, given effect, and declared valid by federal legislation;
- A First Nation, Inuit or Métis government that is established by or under legislation whether federal or provincial that incorporates a governance structure; and
- An Indigenous development corporation
A project must meet at least one of the following outcomes to be eligible:
- Increase the capacity to treat and/or manage wastewater;
- Increase the capacity to treat and/or manage stormwater;
- Increase access to potable water;
- Increase the capacity to divert or manage solid waste (including landfill gases);
- Increase capacity to reduce and/or remediate soil and/or air pollutants
Additionally, projects must
- Be located in the Province of British Columbia
- Have a project completion date of no later than December 31, 2026
- Municipalities can receive a funding contribution to cover up to 73% of project costs
- Indigenous governing bodies can receive a funding contribution to cover up to 90% of project costs
The deadline for this round of application intake is 4:00 pm PST on January 26, 2022.