Over $15B Available for Public Transit Projects for Ontario Municipalities
The Public Transit stream of the ICIP will assist in the building of new urban transit networks and service extensions that will transform the way that Canadians live, move and work. This stream will fund planning, construction, expansion and improvement of public transit networks.
Approximately $8.3 billion in federal funding and $7.3 billion in provincial funding will be allocated across municipalities and Metrolinx.
To be considered for funding, a project must result in at least one of the following transit improvement outcomes:
- Improved capacity of public transit infrastructure
- Improved quality and/or safety of existing or future transit systems
- Improved access to a public transit system
- Improved capacity and/or quality of pathways and/or active transportation infrastructure
- Be an Ontario municipality or Metrolinx
- Receive Provincial Gas Tax funding
- Have reported ridership data to the Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) for 2015
- Have received an allocation for ICIP under the Public Transit Stream
- Up to 40% of total eligible cost for new transit projects. This funding will be matched at 33.33% by the Province, with municipalities contributing 26.67%.
- Up to 50% of total eligible cost for transit rehabilitation projects. This funding will be matched at 33.33% by the Province, with municipalities contributing 16.67%.
Applications for funding under this stream must be submitted by March 28, 2024.