Alberta’s new $150 million Shovel-Ready Challenge is now accepting applications
This funding opportunity provides vital financial support to companies ready to implement leading-edge technologies in applications for both greenfield and brownfield operations. This will result in operational efficiencies, cost and emissions reductions, new investment, job creation and retention, and address longer-term environmental sustainability priorities.
- Successful applicants are eligible to receive up to $15 million in funding, with a minimum request of $2 million
Areas of interest for the Shovel-Ready Challenge include, but are not limited to:
- Low-carbon products (e.g. materials, chemicals, fuels, secondary products)
- Novel processes for energy production, processing, petrochemical manufacturing, etc.
- Waste-to-value and waste energy utilization
- Novel low-emitting electricity generation
- Low-carbon industrial heat
- Digital optimization and automation
- Carbon capture, utilization, and sequestration (CCUS)
- Methane emissions management (from fossil and biological sources)
- Optimization of agriculture and forestry operations
- Enhancement of natural GHG sinks
- Novel fuel-switching opportunities (e.g. electrification, hydrogen, renewable fuels, etc.)
- Mobility and transportation solutions (e.g. industrial, freight, rail, aviation)
The application deadline is Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 5 p.m.