Up to $2,000,000 AVAILABLE FOR clean agri-tech!
The program aims to create an enabling environment for the development and adoption of clean technology that will help drive the changes required to achieve a low-carbon economy and promote sustainable growth in Canada's agriculture and agri-food sector.
The Adoption Stream supports the purchase and installation of commercially available clean technology or equipment upgrades that will reduce greenhouse gas (GHG), fertilizer and methane emissions.
The new intake will be more ambitious in terms of reducing GHG emissions and will also emphasize support for measurable fertilizer and methane emission reductions in line with Government of Canada targets. Where possible, project submissions will be prioritized according to higher GHG, fertilizer or methane emission reductions.
The Adoption Stream intake will provide non-repayable contributions in the range of requests of $25,000 up to $2 million per project.
Contributions toward eligible costs will generally be shared between Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) and you as follows:
- AAFC — a maximum of 40%
- You — a minimum of 60%
The Adoption Stream may provide an additional 10% on the cost-share ratio (AAFC — 50%: You — 50%) where the majority of the business (more than 50%) is owned by one or more under-represented groups. Under-represented groups include:
- Indigenous Peoples
- Youth, aged 35 or under
- Visible minorities
- Persons with disabilities
You must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible.
- For-profit organization
- Businesses and/or corporations;
- Individuals or sole-proprietorships;
- Co-operatives or partnerships; and
- Indigenous groups
- Canadian entity and/or incorporated in Canada
- You've secured your portion of financial contributions for the project, per the cost-share ratios, before applying
- You have not previously received funding from the Adoption Stream
- You'll submit only one application (including subsidiaries) over the life of the program
- Your project activity(ies) are eligible under the program
- You're a legal entity capable of entering into legal binding agreements
Eligible ActivitiesGreen energy and energy efficiency improvements that enable better management of energy intensive agricultural processes, including but not limited to the purchase and installation of:
- Energy-efficient, low-emissions equipment (for example, commercial grain dryers) where an efficiency gain can be demonstrated compared to the technology being replaced
- Technologies to power farms with clean energy (for example, fuel switching, such as conversion from coal or diesel)
- Energy-efficient heating systems for functional on-farm structures like barns that show emissions reductions over technology being replaced
- Energy efficient heat pumps
- Solar or geo-thermal systems panels and solar-powered technology, including for ventilation, farm equipment, sensors, etc.
Precision agriculture, that contribute to more precise, and therefore reduced input use, including but not limited to the purchase and installation of:
- Nutrient management technologies that optimize fertilizer application (that is, rate and placement) and other inputs including variable rate application technologies and GPS auto-steer guidance systems
- Technologies and systems to collect and analyze data that enable reduced fertilizer use, including soil sensors, yield monitors, remote imagery and related geographic information systems technologies
- Methane reduction technologies that optimize livestock digestion if commercially available, for example, novel feed processing and precision feed technology
Bioeconomy solutions that use agricultural waste and by-products to generate energy or create bio-products, including but not limited to:
- Technologies and equipment to support improved manure management and processing waste into bioenergy products and other useful outputs, including:
- Anaerobic digesters for processing agricultural waste into bioenergy
- Bio-product/biomass boiler heating of farm operations/greenhouses
- Implementing solutions that use agri-based products, such as bioplastics
- Capital assets
- capital assets are tangible assets that are purchased, constructed, developed or otherwise acquired, and are required for the execution of the project
- Salaries and benefits
- salaries and benefits towards installation only as directly related to completing the project activities
- Contracted services
- professional or specialized services for which a contract is entered into, such as consultant/expert services required for implementation of a new technology.
- project travel directly related to the installation of technologies and equipment supported by the Adoption Stream based on a per diem rate that includes accommodations, meals, incidentals and transportation (air or ground). Travel is limited to economy rates.
- Other direct project costs
- other project-related costs, such as translation, permits, the rental, lease of equipment or machinery, goods and services and all related shipping and transportation costs, including freight, required to carry out the project, and materials/consumables needed to undertake the project.