The ICON Program will help improve and expand broadband and cellular infrastructure in areas of need by investing $150 million over four years.
The ICON program is meant to promote industry partnerships that leverage investments across sectors and encourage innovative solutions to meet the connectivity needs of communities.
The ICON program is open to:
- Non-profit and for-profit entities that are incorporated in Canada
- Municipal entities
- Band Councils
The ICON program may contribute up to a maximum of 25% of total eligible project costs. Projects supported by the ICON program will achieve the following objectives:
- Increase the number of households and/or businesses connected to broadband and cellular services in areas of need
- If a broadband project, provide broadband connectivity speeds of at least 50 megabits per second (Mbps) download and 10 Mbps upload or greater for end users
- If a cellular project, provide cellular access at the latest generally deployed mobile wireless technology (currently long-term evolution or LTE)
- Build scalable infrastructure for future needs of users