$250 Million Available to Municipalities to Fund Construction, Expansion and Improvement of Public Transit Networks Throughout Ontario
The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program - Public Transit Stream Ontario (ICIP-ON) is a cost-shared infrastructure funding program between the federal government, provinces and territories, municipalities, and other recipients that aims to support infrastructure priorities across the province of Ontario.
The Public Transit stream of ICIP will primarily build new urban transit networks and service extensions that will transform the way that Canadians live, move and work. This stream will fund the construction, expansion and improvement of public transit networks. Approximately $8.3 billion in federal funding will be allocated across municipalities and Metrolinx.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be an Ontario municipality or Metrolinx
- Receive Provincial Gas Tax funding
- Have reported ridership data to the Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) for 2015
- Have received an allocation for ICIP under the Public Transit Stream
Maximum Contribution Rate:73% of eligible costs
Funding can be directed to new construction, rehabilitation or replacement of eligible infrastructure projects. Eligible transit infrastructure projects include rolling stock assets (e.g. buses, subway car, streetcars, light rail car, vehicles for transporting persons with disabilities), fixed assets (e.g. passenger stations), transit-exclusive infrastructure, and active transportation infrastructure that is directly connected to the public transit system.
The following costs are eligible under this funding opportunity:
- Diesel / bio-diesel / Electric / Natural gas / Other
- Heavy railcars (subway)
- Commuter railcars (locomotives and passenger)
- Light railcars
- Passenger stations / terminal
- Car stalls, Bicycle racks, Passenger drop
- Railway Track
- Bike/pedestrian lanes and sidewalks
- Video surveillance
- Operator safety
- Security support vehicles
- Cloud intelligence sharing/Information management infrastructure
- Video screens and PA system for passenger announcements
- Security enhancements
- Mobile technology
- Accessibility improvements
- Applications for the last intake must be submitted by November 30, 2022.